First United Methodist Church is seeking the right person to become our newest team member. The Chancel Choir Director is responsible for directing the choir and hand bell choir and working closely with the pastoral staff to coordinate music for our traditional service at 11 am on Sundays and other special music throughout the year. The position is approximately 8 hours per week and compensation is $900 to $1500 per month, depending on qualifications. A detailed job description and application for employment are available at the church office or at www.fumcdurango.org. Please drop off or mail applications to First United Methodist Church/2917 Aspen Drive/Durango, CO 81301.
POSITION:Chancel Choir Director
PURPOSE:Under the general direction of the Pastoral Staff, the Chancel Choir Director shall plan for and direct the music ministry of the chancel choir and traditional worship service.
• Has a heart for God and a desire to serve in ministry
• Has music education and experience commensurate with the position
• Ability to relate well to volunteers of all ages
• Ability to direct musical groups in performance situations
• Possesses good organizational and time management skills
• Sees her/himself as a member of worship and staff teams
• Life-long learner willing to attend continuing education events
Directly to one of the Pastoral Staff to be determined on a yearly basis
Indirectly to the Staff-Parish Relations Team
Approximately 8 hours
Part time, lay, non-exempt
Set annually by the Staff-Parish Relations Team.
As described in the Personnel Policies and Procedures Manual for Lay Employees.
Up to four (4) Sundays off during the choir season
• Evaluate music publishers’ materials for weekly anthems, and annual cantatas.
• Work with the Worship and Arts Director to propose and manage the worship and music budgets
• Plan and coordinate the traditional worship service music schedule, including seasonal cantatas, the hand-bell choir, and special service music (such as Ash Wednesday, Ecumenical Thanksgiving and Good Friday services, Christmas Eve, etc.) This will include the Chancel Choir and Soloists and ensembles.
• Conduct weekly choir practices from late August through late May.
• Direct the Chancel Choir at the 11 AM service.
• Coordinate musical offerings with the Pastors and other musical directors.
• Work with choir to recruit new choir members.
• Oversee the Scholarship Singer program, including recruitment, auditions and supervision with Fort Lewis College students.
• Participate in program planning with pastoral staff and/or worship planning team.
• Occasionally must lift boxes of music materials weighing up to 25 lbs. and must be able to negotiate steps in sanctuary leading to chancel area.
• Other duties as assigned and agreed to.
Job Description for Choir Director – 07/31/2014 – FUMC Durango
Please Mail Your Application and Background Check Form to the Church:
2917 Aspen Dr. Durango, CO 81301
or email to